Monday, October 31, 2016

Is Frozen Good or Bad?

               Frozen has been my family’s favorite children’s movie ever since it came out in 2013. Once it hit the theaters on November 27th it spread like wildfire. I was even  in high school at the time but I remember everyone talking about Frozen. It seemed that many households were playing the Frozen playlist for Christmas of 2013 rather than the classic Christmas tunes. My niece, Olivia, still loves and practically worships Frozen to this day. I never saw any harm of Olivia enjoying Frozen so much until I recently watched it but with a more critical mindset. Frozen portrays many positive messages throughout the film but it is the ever so subtle negative ones that concern the aunt of Frozen’s number one fan.
              Most people that watch Frozen see the positive messages. Frozen’s one distinct positive message is that love conquers all. This is a cliché theme seen in many Disney princess movies. Disney is famously known for having a similar theme in their films and Frozen continued to follow that pattern. In Frozen the love that conquers all is the love between Anna and Christoff and Anna and Elsa. In the end is saves Anna from dying of a frozen heart. In the ending of the movie, the snowman Olaf is standing by a fire. Anna quickly tells him to go before he melts. Olaf replies with “Some people are worth melting for” (Frozen). This happened when Anna’s heart began to freeze and the positive message that can be taken away is that loyal and loving friends are worth any risk. Another positive message is displayed between Kristoff and Anna after Anna gives Kristoff a new sleigh to thank him for saving her life.
              Kristoff: “I could kiss you. I could. I mean, I’d like to. I-may I? We me? I mean, may we? Wait what?”
              Anna: “You may” (Frozen).
The lovers finally kiss proving to viewers all over that love does conquer all.
              Despite the very obvious positive messages, Frozen also has a few negative messages hidden in some scenes and in the songs sung in the film. A negative message seen in many Disney princess films is that the princess needs the help of a male to live happily ever after. This is also the case for Frozen. Anna is about to die at the end because her heart will only stop freezing if she receives a true loves kiss. It is clearly emphasized that Anna cannot live unless Kristoff helps her which is teaching young girls that they too need a man’s help to go on in life. Many parents are speaking out on this topic in fear of their daughters futures. Little girls should be taught to be whoever they want to be without the help of a man and that’s not the case for Frozen. Another negative message from Frozen is put into the lyrics of ‘Let It Go,’ a song sung by Elsa. “No right, no wrong, no rules for me, I’m free!” (Let It Go). This line concerns many parents as well because it implies that girls do not need to have rules. Girls cannot be taught at a young age to believe there are not rules for them or else they will go wild. The message that line of ‘Let It Go’ sends is terrible for any girl to sing and listen to.

              In the end, I would say the positive messages outweigh the negative ones because you do have to dig deep to find them and many would argue that young girls aren’t thinking that critically when they watch Frozen. Not to say I do not agree that there are negative messages it’s just much harder to find them. I enjoy the movie Frozen still despite the negative messages! 


No comments:

Post a Comment